I swim. I bike. I run...usually covered in boogers and crayon.

Sunday, May 29, 2011

My New (Expensive) Hobby





As a runner, I appreciate the simplicity of tying your shoes and going. Triathlons, to me, have always been events where people show off their high tech gear whether or not they possess any athletic ability whatsoever. So what is a runner to do when running is taking its toll but you still want to compete? You jump in any pool you can get in, ride any bike you can find, and sign up for your first triathlon (judgments aside.)
A month ago, I was debating signing up for another half marathon or doing something completely different. I looked at a few tris in the area that took pace this month and chose the Bristow Area Tri and Swim "Salute to the Military Triathlon" which took place in Warrenton, VA this morning. It was a 300 meter swim, 12 mile bike ride, and a 5k run. I had a few friends sign up as well so I wouldn't be completely lost and bewildered.
We got there at 6am this morning. I took my bike and gear to the transition area and set everything up. I was going to wear my bathing suit for the swim and throw on some bike shorts for the other two events. I put some Lock Laces in my new running shoes last night so I wouldn't have to deal with tying them (as it was, it took me 2:39 to transition from swimming to biking which I am sure is a lot of time.)
There were 175 registered for the sprint triathlon and I was number 155 to get into the pool. I don't know WHAT time I said I could swim it in when I registered but I basically passed ten people in front of me so I could have easily been closer to the front. It took me 8 minutes to swim. I jumped out of the pool and ran to the transition area, put on my shorts, socks, shoes, helmet, and walked my bike to the mounting line and left for the 12 mile ride. The roads were rural with rolling hills but there was a lot of "out and back" requiring us to make sharp u-turns in the middle of the road which I'm sure added time.
I made it back to the transition area and walked my bike to the rack remembering not to take off my helmet until I was dismounted (yay...no DQ for me! I was very nervous about all of the rules and made sure I followed all of them.) It only took me 55 seconds to transition into running. I didn't wait for my friends who were behind me. I just wanted to get it over with! I felt like I was crawling during the 5k but I still managed to pull it in at 27:01.
I finished 3rd out of 8 in my age group and won an award (or would have had we stuck around to receive it.) My time was 1:29:19. I was 101/152 overall (guess not all 175 made it to the race) and was 70/152 for the run (not bad since I'm a runner and not a biker or swimmer.)
Now I want to do another one. I figured I would learn some lessons today but I didn't mess up too badly. I guess the best lesson I learned is that you don't need fancy equipment to compete in a triathlon!
(Photos compliments of my husband who cheered me on and kept the baby in tow!)

No comments:

Post a Comment