I swim. I bike. I run...usually covered in boogers and crayon.

Monday, April 4, 2011

Peroneal Tendonitis...?

*Phew* what a weekend. The party and my husband's race (and recovery) made the weekend fly by. Now I am dealing with debilitating pain in my right foot. Well let's back up a bit. The marathon was last Saturday. I took the week off from running so by Saturday morning (three days ago), I was itching to run again. I ran five miles before setting up for the party. Afterward, I wore some new sandals and felt fine all day. Sunday, I was walking fine until I had to go eight blocks to find a coffee shop in downtown DC and I started getting a sharp pain on the outside/bottom of my right foot. (I know it's not plantar fasciitis. I've met tons of people who suffer from plantar fasciitis and my symptoms are not similar.) This is nowhere near my heel. It is on the outside wrapping around to the bottom (opposite side of my arch). At first I blamed my new sandals but I'm thinking it's more likely residual wear and tear from the marathon. I did some internet diagnosing and it seems possible that I am suffering from "acute tendonitis of the peroneal tendon." Yuck. It looks like some rest from running is in my future and also maybe a doctor's visit even though I hate going to the doctor because it always seems like a waste of time (rest, ice, reduce inflammation, etc.) I get it. I'm thinking more and more that the weight room is my friend. In the mean time, I am wearing my oh-so-supportive running shoes and insoles and seeing if it will alleviate the pain in the next few days. If not, then it's off to the doc.

2 comments:

  1. Hi there- I just stumbled upon your blog and think it's great! I'm looking forward to reading it.

    Congrats on your marathon (wow!) and I'm sending get well vibes to your foot. Running injuries stink!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Danielle. I ramble on a bit but I try to stay on topic. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete